This week on the Blog we are talking to the pros about our dress shopping FAQ’s.
Wedding dress shopping is a very special event for a girl and we want you to have all the right information before getting started. So we teamed up with the lovely gals over at Something New Boutique and they helped us answer some of the common questions we get from our brides on the subject of wedding dress shopping.
A little bit about Something Blue Boutique…
Since opening in 2008, thousands of brides have flocked to Something New Boutique , not only to experience the stunning, quality bridal gowns and gorgeous store, but for guarantee that “the Girl Comes Before the Dress.” Brides choose Something New Boutique because they know they will be treated with the personal attention they need to find their dream dress for their big day.
1. How far in advance should I shop for my dress?
– Bride magazine says that it takes about a year to plan for a wedding! Wedding dress shopping should be the first item that you do because it can take anywhere from 6-9 months for a dress to come in and you want to have plenty of time for alterations! You don’t want to be stressed out with having a small time frame. Ideally, you should start dress shopping 8 to 10 months before the big day. If you want a made-to-measure or bespoke dress start 10+ months in advance.
2. What should I bring to my appointment?
– You really shouldn’t have to bring anything to your appointment! Just you and the people that matter most to you! Bridal boutiques should have the appropriate undergarments and shape wear that you will need.
3. Who should I bring to my appointment?
– We always say to bring the people whose opinion matters most to you. The people who love you and want you to feel beautiful. The more people you bring, the more voices and opinions could distract you from what you really want. Ultimately this is your decision! Sometimes brides feel like they have to bring their whole wedding party or else people will get mad, but the people who really love you will celebrate you in whatever you choose is best for you!
4. What if I need alterations? Do bridal shops have someone in house for alterations?
– Alterations are completely normal! Everyone will need something done, whether it’s the hem or the straps or the bust. Most bridal shops these days don’t have an in house seamstress anymore but do have a few trusted seamstresses that they recommend. If you are looking for a seamstress just make sure that they are experienced with bridal gowns because it is totally different from regular alterations.
5. How can a stylist tell that a dress is “the one”?
– Some brides cry, some brides just have a peace about it. It’s always different with everyone! Stylists can usually tell the bride has found the one by comparing the way she reacts in the favorite dress to the other dresses that she’s tried on. At our boutique we have a very thought-out process to help brides make that decision themselves.
6. How should I approach talking about my budget? What’s the best way to bring it up?
– It’s always important to know what price point you want to stay in before you come to your appointment. Your stylist will be the one who asks you, this helps us know which dresses to pull.
Sugar Willow Girls Tips:
- Schedule a blowout & do your make up before your appointment or better yet, schedule one of your beauty trials before. You’ll look fabulous and get a better idea of what you’ll look like on your wedding day
- Have a friend take pictures of you in every dress, and in as many angles as possible that way you can reference these pictures when making the final decision
- Do your homework: prepare for your appointment by learning about dress silhouettes and finding wedding dress styles you love. Then bring pictures to show your stylist. This will give you a great starting point.